Thursday, August 8, 2013

I'm sorry.

Seven days it's been
Since the day we last spoke
And I don't know why
This short silence
Stretches through my lungs
And chokes up my
last breath
Maybe it's because
You didn't say goodbye
Before you left
And now I feel
So foolish for thinking
We were going somewhere
Or building anything
I feel so stupid
For believing in what
I thought we could be
I didn't mean to scare you
Or show you that
I cared at all
I'm sorry for my
Compliments
For my inquisitiveness
I'm sorry for wondering
Who you are on the inside
Pretenses and pressure removed
I'm sorry for wanting
To peel back your layers
To hold your secret dreams
Inside my palms
Safe, hushed and quiet
I thought you wanted a friend but
You didn't.
I was wrong.
I'm sorry, sorry
So sorry I tried.
I feel so foolish.

4 comments:

  1. Wow... you should publish a book of poems...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my vote on publishing a book too Kath :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Poem is so relatable! You are an amazing poet. You are honest and colloquial while still being unique and profound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really connect with this. This touches a sore spot in my heart, a recent breakup with a dear friend. I feel every word. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete