Monday, October 26, 2009

Secret Sorrow

The secret sorrow
Sits in my heart
Humming
Softly, sadly
The rain spills
In rows on my roof
Singing a song
About you
Every drop
Reminds me
Of a fact
I wish weren't true:
I have lost you.
Finally, after
All of my hiding
Running and crying
My heart gave up on me.
"No more,"
It pleaded
I had to listen
For once I made
A brave decision
I picked
The right answer
Untied my knots
Fixed all my problems
Or so I thought
I asked a thousand
People to tell me
What to do
How to respond
Where to go
They spun me
In circles
Words overlapping
I was
Out of breath
From searching for answers
So I looked at my heart
It showed me this:
We aren't right.
So I told you
My story
The one that has been
Bottled up tight
Sealed and silent
But beating inside me
I gave you back
The melodies bright
You reached in
Your pocket
Pulled out my heart
The crushed-up pieces
You placed in my palm
And after
We parted
I closed my door
The ache of my soul
Matched the flood of pain
Rushing and tearing
Bleeding and trembling
As the secret sorrow
Sits in my heart
Humming
Softly, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment